Domaine Verzier Côte Rôtie "Indiscrète" 2014
In stock. Ships in 1-2 business days.
It’s hard to imagine that arguably the most prestigious French Syrah appellation, Côte Rotie, was once completely under-exploited. This is royal Syrah terroir: Côte Rotie is a series of south-east facing, sun-bathed Schist soil slopes (Côte Rotie translates to “Roasted Slope”). It’s the apex of Syrah grape-growing for northern climates, but because it is so famously hard to farm, by the 1970’s only 70 hectares were planted. It’s hard to imagine now, but like many families in the Northern Rhone, the Verziers relied on their stone fruit as a reliable source of income while the vineyards played second fiddle!
Philippe Verzier comes from a family of peach growers, which was largely the focus of the domaine until he took over in the 1980’s and was able to focus on winemaking by purchasing St. Joseph and Condrieu parcels. After over a decade of negotiating, he was able to start buying a tiny quantity of sustainably-farmed grapes from a friend to produce his own bottles of Côte Rotie each year. With very little oak, balanced richness, and a fruit-packed nose, this elegant Syrah will make you a believer.
In the Côte Rotie appellation, there are two schools of thought: “modern” or “internationalized”, (very extracted and heavily oaked) vinification, or traditional vinification. Philippe Verzier falls into the latter category and he adds his personal touch: his Côte Rotie is made in a distinctly light, elegant style. He keeps a third of the harvest as whole cluster so wines are less tannic, but with enough of the meaty, roasted notes that are classic Cote Rotie. Because the wine has 5% viognier, it adds a subtle touch of freshness to this ripe, savory, dark fruit of the Syrah. The wine is vinified in stainless steel tank, then with 18 months in “demi-muids” or 600-liter barrels—chosen so that don’t lend too much oak to the wine.
The wine is juicy and satisfying but, thanks to the subtle vinification, the schist terroir shines through, giving it great structure. We paired it with Moroccan lamb meatballs, but Philippe’s favorite pairing is open it with steak and a truffle sauce. 2014 is a great vintage for Northern Rhone wines— this wine is ready to drink right away, but like any great Côte Rôtie, can be aged for years to come.
Region: Cote Rotie
Varietal: 95% Syrah, 5% Viognier
Alc % by Vol: 13.5%
Drink: Now through 2024
Pair with: Steak & truffles (winemaker's recommendation), lamb
In stock wines will ship out within 1 business day.
Our warehouse will send you an email with a tracking number before they are shipped, so you can manage your delivery window.
Please note that an adult over 21 years old must be present to sign for your wines. We cannot cover any reshipping fees.
For Pre-Arrival Wines, here is our estimated shipping schedule:
Spring pre-arrivals land in the early spring (Mid-to-end-of- March 2016).
Summer pre-arrivals land in the early summer (June 2016)
Fall pre-arrivals land in the early fall (October 2016)
Where do we ship?
U.S. : We currently ship to AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, LA, MA, MO, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TX, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY. This list is subject to change at any time.
World: We typically deliver to France within 1-4 weeks after an order is placed. For other countries, please contact us for a quote and expected delivery time.
How do we ship?
- For pre-arrival wines, we ship three times a year via ocean freight. Orders placed February to April will be delivered during the summer shipping season (June), and orders placed May-September will ship in the fall (October), Orders placed October-January will ship in the Spring. We are happy to offer temperature or vacation holds, and will always notify you before the wine ships.
- Wines listed as "In stock" will be shipped out within 2 business days of an order being placed.
All of our supply chain is temperature-controlled and we use a transporter specialized in wine shipping.
Free shipping guidelines:
- Free shipping applies to all orders over $199, or as specified as part of a special online offer.
- Minimum order to ship pre-arrival wines: $199.
For orders over $200 that include both pre-arrival wines and in stock wines :
If the value of the in stock wines is below the minimum order quantity for free shipping (or $200), standard shipping rates will apply. Alternatively, wines can be held until pre-arrival wines arrive to ship for free.
For questions about shipping or for help placing an order, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purchaser and recipient must be over the age of 21 to purchase alcohol.
- An adult 21 years or older must be available to sign for the order upon delivery.
- When your wines are ready to be dispatched from our warehouse in California we will write to confirm your shipping address.
- It is highly recommended that you provide us with a business shipping address for best service.
- Delivery can only be made to an address where an individual at least 21 years old can sign for the shipment during regular business hours.
If you cannot receive your package and it is returned, please note that we cannot cover any re-shipping charges.
Cancellation and Return Policy
- We want you to love the wines your order from us and look forward to wine shipping season. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, please contact us.
- A 15% cancellation/processing fee will be applied to all orders cancelled by the customer.
- Please note that we are unable to accept returns. If you are unhappy with your wine for any reason, please contact us.
Note that wine over 10 years old is not guaranteed in any way.
Have a question? e-mail email@example.com with any questions or concerns!
All wines are sold by Paris Wine Company SARL, 7 rue du Général Guilhem, 75011 Paris France
- Made with Integrity
- Compelling and Memorable